Saturday, June 25, 2016

Catching up with ... Brian Boyer, Jefferson

For more than three decades, Brian Boyer has been helping people protect their families and assets as a State Farm insurance agent and agency owner. Boyer also served the communty as chairman of the board of the Chicago Rockford International Airport from 2005 to 2011.

Before all that, Boyer was a Rockford Jefferson and North Central College student and wrester, and a pretty good one. In 1975, Boyer was the conference wrestling champion at 126 pounds in a year in which six conference wrestlers placed at state, although Boyer was not one of them.

Q: That was a very good year for conference wrestling.

Yes, it was. Dave Evans (fellow Jefferson wrestler) got robbed in the finals and I had a terrible match in the sectionals. Not to mention East was close to a team state title. A few key matches different would have done it.

Q: Were you a go for the pin guy or more technical wrestler?

I led the team in pins in 1975 with 18. Dave Evans was a takedown guy - take 'em down, let 'em up, take 'em down again. There was friendly competition on the team between me, Dave, Mike Swan and Rick Early.

Q: What was your 'go-to' move?

Most pinning combinations worked off an aggressive crossface - it's uncomfortable and painful. They turn away, cradle. They fight the cradle, post their shoulder and drive them over. Either way they are on their back.

Q: Rockford is the largest small town. Have any of the guys you beat in wrestling become clients? 

Yes. Quite a few. Wrestlers are a unique group, a very difficult thing to explain to people. I also have a few clients who beat me. I've found I am closer to old wrestlers - 40 years out of high school and 34 years out of college - than other fellow athletes. I haven't really thought about that much until you brought this up. I don't remember all the wrestlers I have beat, but I remember all the wrestlers that beat me (LOL).

Q: 126 pounds was a long time ago. What do you eat now that you couldn't back when you had to make weight?

We cut more weight back then versus today. Most of the weight loss for young guys in shape is from dehydration - not healthy to excess. We worked out and ran in plastics. I remembered oranges being one  of the few things I ate losing weight. I eat fairly good now, thanks to Liz, my wife, who is a vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment